Less than two weeks away, Christmas is just around the corner and I may just be a tad bit excited. Okay, a lot excited. We decorated our tree earlier this week as we sang our favorite holiday songs, the kids went to see Santa today, and our baby girl has been practicing (aka sleeping) for her big debut as baby Jesus in our church's nativity play. :-) I've gotten most of my shopping done for gifts, but I still have a few more to go.
Last year, my friend told me about a special tradition that her family does when it comes to exchanging gifts, and I loved it! Each Christmas, their parents give them three things: something they need, something they want, and something that can't be taken away. The way she described it made my minimalist heart excited and I was eager to learn more. The first two things - "something they needed" and "something they wanted", sounded self-explanatory to me, but I had her explain what the "something that can't be taken away" meant. For her family, that usually meant an experience rather than a physical item - i.e.: trip to the aquarium, concert with mom/dad, art class, etc.
SO, with that in mind, I've created a fun gift guide for those of you who still have people you need to check off your list.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. All opinions are my own.
(side note - I use the term "need" in this gift guide very loosely. Of course, these items are not must-haves to live or meet basic needs.)
1. // Something Needed - Brown Chukka Boot: Every guy needs a good pair of boots right? These boots could equally be worn casually or dressed up for a nicer occasion.
2. // Something Wanted - Barisieur: This, my friends is an amazing gift for the coffee fanatic in your life - a coffee/tea alarm clock! That's right... wake up to a fresh cup of coffee, bedside. It even has a compartment for cream and sugar, and also doubles as a charging station for your devices. They're currently taking pre-order for shipments in 2018, so get your guy a bag of coffee and show him this video of what's in his future.
3. // Something That Can't Be Taken Away - Top Golf Experience: This place is fun, even if you're not an avid golfer. Give him a gift card that he can use for game play, apparel, lessons or food and drink. Invite some friends and enjoy a fun group date :-)
4. // Something Needed - Humble Hilo Bookbag: I'm a huge fan of this company and I've personally been eyeing these bookbags for awhile. Every bag is handmade by families in Guatemala and a portion of every purchase will go back to benefit those in great need. Love this. Mamas, this would be an awesome diaper bag and they even sell "stroller straps" that, you guessed it, attach the bag to your stroller.
5. // Something Wanted - Letterfolk Letter Board: A beautiful and fun addition to your home. Use it to share quotes, the dinner menu, document milestone events, etc. Annnnd I love their Instagram feed, it makes me laugh and the occasional "awwwwee!". This quote gets me every time - can you relate?
6. // Something That Can't Be Taken Away - Hand-lettering Workshop: For the creative lady - purchase an online e-course or a gift certificate to take one in-person. Molly Jacques is well known in the modern calligraphy/lettering world, and would be a great place to start or google your area and see if there's a local shop that offers workshops.
7. // Something Needed - ZoLi straw cups: These straw cups are a great no-spill option for having around the house or on-the-go. My favorite part, is the weighted ball at the end of the straw. This allows the straw to move to the liquid regardless of whether the cup is tipped all the way in the air or sideways. Our little guy is a fan.
8. // Something Wanted - Rain for Roots music: I have LOVED listening to these CDs with my little ones. It's done by a collection of women (including Sandra McCracken!) that came together around a single vision to "make new, timeless songs about the old gospel story." The music is folksy and very catchy. This is the type of kid music you ENJOY putting on in the car and singing along. Highly recommend!
9. // Something That Can't Be Taken Away - Learning Tower: This is a physical item, but the memories made while using this product is what I'm going for. A learning tower is a secure environment for your toddler to explore and learn while "helping" alongside you or siblings - baking cookies, nightly dinner preparations, crafts, etc. It's made at counter height which provides them a safe way to get in on the action.
10. // Something Needed - Changing Mat: These leather changing mats by Gathre are beautiful and functional. Easy to wipe down (no laundering necessary!) and stores away compactly in your bag.
11. // Something Wanted - Hazel Village Doll: Look at that sweet owl! Hazel Village has a large variety of stuffed animals and dolls for your little to love on. They are made of organic cotton and their facial details are hand-embroidered. You can customize the stuffed animal or doll to wear clothes that also come in baby/kid sizes.
12. // Something That Can't Be Taken Away - Kindermusik Class: Music classes for even the littlest of babies. These classes are offered nation-wide and are a great way to bond with your baby. It's also nice being able to meet other parents that have kids the same age.
What are some gift ideas you have for your family?
*photograph by Carrie Jo of Texture Photo.